I recently pinned a pattern for this sewing organiser on my Pinterest account. As my usual sewing is something like ‘sew seam – get up to find scissors – sew seam – get up to find unpicker – sew seam – really must do something about that little pile of pins heaping up’, I thought that it may come in very useful to help keep me organised when sewing. Oh, and it’s really pretty.
My usual approach is to see a pattern I like and try to duplicate it. However, after a few recent failures of random projects, I decided to purchase this pattern from SundayGirlDesigns on Etsy. And I was so glad I did – the pattern was easy to follow and saved me a lot of wrong turns. My only suggestion would be for the pattern to include total fabric purchase at the start of the pattern as I was feeling a bit lazy about adding together all the fabric required for each different part of the project.
I only made a couple of edits to the pattern:
1. I couldn’t find iron-on batting so I used regular batting and had to baste the mat together. 3/4 of the way through basting, I seriously began to regret not hunting down the iron on.
2. The pattern calls for pre-made seam tape, but I just made my own bias binding from a fat quarter.
3. I found the thread basket hung open a bit far after construction – so I added a little elastic with a press-stud closure to hold it closed a little more.
4. I didn’t have any felt for the flowers, so I made them from contrast fabric instead.