I’ve had a break from corseting while playing around with quilts and learning to sew stretch fabrics, so it was lovely to return back to this and try out some things I haven’t done before. I’m very keen to keep trying new patterns and techniques.
The pattern I used was the Ariadnes Thread Corsetry 24″ pattern. I’m not a tight lacer and so had to resize this to fit my corseted 31.5″ waist. This gives a 2″ reduction, so is a good size for a corset beginner.
The instructions for resizing the corset were from a great download published by The Corsetmaking Revolution called The New Corset Pattern Drafting Masterclass. Resizing is all math, so I ended up making a spreadsheet to do the multiple calculations. Soooo much easier than doing each calculation on a calculator. I think I’ll make a spreadsheet for resizing each corset pattern I own now.
After the resizing, I was absolutely delighted to try on my toile and discover that it fitted beautifully. Who knew it could be this easy?!
When I started putting it together in the final fabric, I tried a technique called “Roll Pinning” when sewing the fashion fabric to the strength layer. The idea is that it will help stop wrinkles – and it worked a treat. If you’ve never heard of it, here’s a tutorial
I also tried a new way of tipping the bones. Instead of battling with the little metal caps, I used heat shrink tubing which an electrician friend sourced for me. It shrinks down real quick with the heat gun from my scrapbooking stash. Now only time and wearing will tell me if the tubing is good for the job. I doubled the amount of boning this time too: two bones, side by side on each fabric join. I didn’t make a modesty panel for it because I will be wearing it over black anyway.
Incredibly comfortable to wear, I can’t wait to give it an outing