My son loves Lego Minifigs and has them all in a box. I’d been looking for display options for some time and finally stumbled across this tutorial. All I needed was some foam board from Officeworks, a picture frame from Ikea and some basic craft cutting tools.
I found the tutorial very easy to follow. I changed the sizing somewhat and left the glass off the front of the frame so that my son can access his figures, but it’s basically made as described. All in all, the project probably took me a couple of hours to complete.
Easy, cheap, quick and looks good. Works for me!
I recently pinned a pattern for this sewing organiser on my Pinterest account. As my usual sewing is something like ‘sew seam – get up to find scissors – sew seam – get up to find unpicker – sew seam – really must do something about that little pile of pins heaping up’, I thought that it may come in very useful to help keep me organised when sewing. Oh, and it’s really pretty.
My usual approach is to see a pattern I like and try to duplicate it. However, after a few recent failures of random projects, I decided to purchase this pattern from SundayGirlDesigns on Etsy. And I was so glad I did – the pattern was easy to follow and saved me a lot of wrong turns. My only suggestion would be for the pattern to include total fabric purchase at the start of the pattern as I was feeling a bit lazy about adding together all the fabric required for each different part of the project.
I only made a couple of edits to the pattern:
1. I couldn’t find iron-on batting so I used regular batting and had to baste the mat together. 3/4 of the way through basting, I seriously began to regret not hunting down the iron on.
2. The pattern calls for pre-made seam tape, but I just made my own bias binding from a fat quarter.
3. I found the thread basket hung open a bit far after construction – so I added a little elastic with a press-stud closure to hold it closed a little more.
4. I didn’t have any felt for the flowers, so I made them from contrast fabric instead.
Anyway, very happy with this little project. Here’s to more organised sewing.
The crafting bug hit me today. With a sledgehammer. No amount of personal persuasion to the contrary was going to beat today’s desire to make something. Not that I tried very hard to block it. It’s the Christmas break – the sewing shops would either be closed or too crowded with people shopping the post Christmas sales – so I was going to have to make do.
After spending far too long on Pinterest reviewing my options, I decided to sew a makeup purse for my daughter. It was one of those perfect crafts where I had absolutely everything I needed at my fingertips. Leftover fabrics from a previous quilt, some batting, the perfect zip and all the tools I needed.
I love the way that tools bought for different applications can be used in so many ways. The cutting board bought for scrapbooking is the same type used for the rotary cutting of fabric. The clear ruler bought for measuring patchwork squares is now used for cutting any fabric in a straight line. And the new guides for making bone casings on my corsets worked wonderfully for constructing the red highlight on my purse.
All in all, a very rewarding day with nothing spent. And to make it better, my daughter actually liked the purse!
Quick school holiday activity here.
Ingredients: a small glass container from the thrift store $1. Yoda action figure. Potting mix. A fern. Some ground cover. Combine and make Star Wars enthusiast son very happy. Surprisingly, it’s thriving 4 weeks later!