I recently pinned a pattern for this sewing organiser on my Pinterest account. As my usual sewing is something like ‘sew seam – get up to find scissors – sew seam – get up to find unpicker – sew seam – really must do something about that little pile of pins heaping up’, I thought that it may come in very useful to help keep me organised when sewing. Oh, and it’s really pretty.
My usual approach is to see a pattern I like and try to duplicate it. However, after a few recent failures of random projects, I decided to purchase this pattern from SundayGirlDesigns on Etsy. And I was so glad I did – the pattern was easy to follow and saved me a lot of wrong turns. My only suggestion would be for the pattern to include total fabric purchase at the start of the pattern as I was feeling a bit lazy about adding together all the fabric required for each different part of the project.
I only made a couple of edits to the pattern:
1. I couldn’t find iron-on batting so I used regular batting and had to baste the mat together. 3/4 of the way through basting, I seriously began to regret not hunting down the iron on.
2. The pattern calls for pre-made seam tape, but I just made my own bias binding from a fat quarter.
3. I found the thread basket hung open a bit far after construction – so I added a little elastic with a press-stud closure to hold it closed a little more.
4. I didn’t have any felt for the flowers, so I made them from contrast fabric instead.
Anyway, very happy with this little project. Here’s to more organised sewing.
The crafting bug hit me today. With a sledgehammer. No amount of personal persuasion to the contrary was going to beat today’s desire to make something. Not that I tried very hard to block it. It’s the Christmas break – the sewing shops would either be closed or too crowded with people shopping the post Christmas sales – so I was going to have to make do.
After spending far too long on Pinterest reviewing my options, I decided to sew a makeup purse for my daughter. It was one of those perfect crafts where I had absolutely everything I needed at my fingertips. Leftover fabrics from a previous quilt, some batting, the perfect zip and all the tools I needed.
I love the way that tools bought for different applications can be used in so many ways. The cutting board bought for scrapbooking is the same type used for the rotary cutting of fabric. The clear ruler bought for measuring patchwork squares is now used for cutting any fabric in a straight line. And the new guides for making bone casings on my corsets worked wonderfully for constructing the red highlight on my purse.
All in all, a very rewarding day with nothing spent. And to make it better, my daughter actually liked the purse!
There is this unorganised place under the stairs. A place of random fruit boxes, tubs, cobwebs and dust bunnies. A number of years ago, I got a quote from a specialist wardrobe company to add built in storage, but at $7,000 the idea was promptly discarded and the boxes and dust remained. I did look at using Ikea wardrobe fittings, but cutting down the wardrobe exterior to fit the spot was not something I wanted to tackle. This messy spot was firmly in the ‘too hard basket’.
Finally, I had the idea of using open style Ikea shelving. I chose the Expedit range because of all the coordinating boxes, baskets, drawers and doors. Took myself to Ikea, loaded the car with two units and random inserts and put it all under the stairs. One trip back to Ikea two days later to fine tune the add ons and I’m in business.
The best bit was organising the contents. There is something about organising which is good for my soul. Some of the stuff I’d been keeping was thrown away, some was donated and the rest was sorted and stored. Best of all, I now have tubs for my scrapbooking supplies, sewing supplies (and one tub specifically for current projects) a nook for office supplies and places for my ‘random other craft stuff’.
All this was achieved for around $300. A vast improvement from the $7,000 quote!
Quick school holiday activity here.
Ingredients: a small glass container from the thrift store $1. Yoda action figure. Potting mix. A fern. Some ground cover. Combine and make Star Wars enthusiast son very happy. Surprisingly, it’s thriving 4 weeks later!