Today is bright, cold and wintery – the perfect day to catch up on some photography. Get dressed, run outside, take photos and run back inside to the warmth.
This is my first attempt at Truly Victorian’s TV110 pattern. I really liked the shaping of the pattern – it’s perfect for a modern figure which wants a bit of shaping but not tight-lacing. I adjusted the measurements a little, but I largely followed the pattern.
I completely fell in love with the lace I used around the top of the bust line. I found it at Hobbysew’s Top Ryde store and it just screamed out needing to be bought.
Will definitely use this pattern again.
So I’m totally in love with the new series ‘Penny Dreadful’. In particular, the character Vanessa Ives – all dark, sexy and poised. Exquisite. And those earrings she wore.
I was inspired to make a pair like them after finding an antique onyx pendant at Rozelle Markets in Sydney.
It’s been quite some time since I learned the basics of jewellery making – but nonetheless decided to make these earrings. I found some Onyx beads at a small beading store on Parramatta Rd, Stanmore and used some existing bits and pieces from my previous dabblings in jewellery.
I was quite rusty, especially with the learned art of hand/wrist action when twisting jewellery wire. However, I’m pleased to report that the muscle memory came good and I now have a lovely new pair of Vanessa Ives earrings to match my new pendant.
A recent event had me a busily sewing a skirt which I could wear with my new corset. Much deliberation with a friend had me finally decide to make something inspired by this long fishtail skirt
I started out with dress pattern Simplicity 1541 to give me the fit I required for the top of the skirt. I made a calico mock up of the longer skirt and then extended each gore of the skirt with more fabric to add the floor length fishtail. I also tapered in the original pattern substantially around my knees to create a figure hugging style.
It all came along rather well until I realised that the amount I’d taken the skirt in around my knees meant that I couldn’t pull my skirt up to attend calls of nature. I remedied this by widening the black layer a little and by ending the seam of the red top layer a couple of inches higher. It could also be fixed by sewing with stretch fabrics in the first place.
The skirt is made of two layers, the hip area of each layer being identical. This will fit together when the skirt is complete.
The top layer is shorter than the bottom one and not flared to the same degree. I have split it up the back and added a satin bias binding around the bottom. Hemming flared fabric is just too difficult for me to contemplate.
The bottom layer started out with the same cut as the top, but longer. I then added large wedge shaped fabric pieces in the lower side seams of the skirt to add volume. The layers of ruffled lace at the back have been sewn onto another large wedge and fitted into the back seam. I also finished the lower edge of the bottom layer with ruffled lace. The lace I chose was 5 1/2″ wide and I gathered it using a ruffler foot. I worked using 3:1 ratio of gathering. I’m so in love with my ruffler foot! Makes gathering a breeze.
Apologies for my dodgy drawings, but hopefully they make sense of how I described the construction of each layer.
Once the two layers were complete I basted them together and attached to a waistband. I then inserted corset grommets for the lacing down the back. There is no zip on the skirt – I have to lace myself in and out of the skirt. The lacing is open at both the top and bottom.
All in all, I’m very happy with the result. And had a fabulous night out with the girls while wearing it.